Job Title: Integrated Pest Management Manager/Vegetation Manager
Closing Date: October 15, 2018
Pay: $16-$25 hourly (with potential for partnership, commission, and business entitlement.
Location: Port Angeles
Hours: Part-time and variable. 15-30 hours during the off season. 40 hours during the on season.
Peninsula Urban Forestry LLC is a small, family operated business based out of Port Angeles, WA. We are a young company and are quickly becoming a leader in natural resource management in Western Washington. Our owners and staff highly experienced, educated and passionate. We approach natural resource and environmental management with an entrepreneurial attitude and desire for success while our biologists provide a value-added product to our residential, business and governmental clients.
We provide holistic natural resource consulting and stewardship to private and public landowners. We provide our clients with natural resource/environmental consulting, planning & design, specialized tree care and conservation arboriculture, ecological restoration, sustainable landscaping and vegetation management. We are interested in hiring an employee who can work independently, safely, intelligently and with enthusiasm. This is not an entry level natural resource position. We will reimburse license fees, offer reimbursement for relevant training and continuing education credits.
This is an opportunity for independent biological professionals, or small business that wish to partner with Peninsula Urban Forestry to provide such services. If you’re looking to expand your business, or join a sustainable, developed and organized business, this could be an excellent opportunity.
We are hiring for an Integrated Pest Management Technician/Vegetation Manager with demonstrated experience with herbicide application, botanical identification, pest management on trees and ornamental plants, and an understanding of plant physiology with relation to pests and treatments.
We manage noxious weed populations, sterilize ground/pre-emergent treatments, treat lawns, trees and ornamental plants, and any other chemical related treatments. We also provide the full-spectrum of IPM services, though this position will concentrate on chemical treatments. Our company has a standard operation procedure for each landscape and each chemical we use. Position will require reading chemical labels and understanding their legal requirements, mixing, application of chemicals, and record-keeping as required by the State. Position will require field surveys to identify, document and map noxious weed infestations. Position will perform multiple tasks simultaneously under tight deadlines, prioritizing work and managing own time. Working both independently and as part of a team are highly desirable skills, as are coordination with others and facilitation of teamwork. Employee will work alone and in a team.
Applicant must have real-world experience in chemical application and managing applications. Applicant must be licensed with the WSDA as an applicator. Aquatic endorsement, or the ability to obtain, is required.
Experience, Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills:
Experience & knowledge:
- Must have 2+ years experience reading labels, mixing, and applying herbicides, sterilants, surfactants, etc.
- Experience using, cleaning and maintaining backpack sprayers, engine powered sprayers, cut-stump applicators, etc.
- Applicant must understand integrated pest management and weed control methods.
- Demonstrated field experience (beyond field work conducted through educational coursework) and expertise in managing noxious weed infestations and their impacts to natural resources (including the use of herbicides where appropriate).
- Washington State Noxious Weed Control Law and other relevant local, state and federal laws.
- Regulatory compliance and enforcement procedures as they pertain to noxious weed control.
- Clearly identify native and noxious weeds found in Washington. Knowledge of noxious weed taxonomy, biology and impacts.
- Safe usage of herbicide and plant health care chemicals.
- Use and maintain backpack sprayers & power sprayers.
- Demonstrate enthusiasm for plant and ecological care.
- Demonstrate work history in physically demanding and exposed environmental conditions.
- Ability to work outside in all weather conditions.
- Must be able to lift 100 lbs and carry 50 lbs on foot, over extremely rough terrain of varying difficulty, including steep areas and dense vegetation.
- Washington State Pesticide Operators License (Public or private)
- Aquatic, ornamentals, ROW and other endorsements preferable.
- Washington State Driver’s License with clean record (driving record required)
- Ability to drive truck and trailer safely
- ISA Certified Arborist or the desire to become one.
- Certified Professional Horticulturalist or the desire to become one.
- Certified Ecological Restoration Practitioner or the desire to obtain.
Please submit a letter of interest and resume. Include a brief personal statement showcasing your prior experience within the body of the email to.
Email to: email@example.com